Photo taken 1904
On June 12, 1902, a group of ladies met at the home of Charles H. Biel to organize a Sunday School.
Rev. W.W. Killough led the first monthly worship service on June 12, 1902. A. H. Chadwell was the first Sunday School Superintendent.
On October 12, 1902 the 12 member church became organized by a commission of the Potosi Presbytery.
A building lot was purchased in 1902 for $300 and our current sanctuary building was erected in 1904 for $2,300, with the largest part of the debt paid by the Ladies Aid Society. The Presbytery provided a gift of $400.
The pulpit and chairs were donated by Cape Girardeau Presbyterian Church. One hundred chairs were purchased from the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair, arriving by river boat. Several years later the Willing Workers, a group of 8 young women purchased.
In 1930 a basement was added to the church providing a Sunday School room. An annex was built in 1954 giving more classroom space, and a new kitchen. The sanctuary was renovated in 1961 and air conditioning installed in 1968.
The Great Flood of 1993 threatened to destroy the church, but with the diligence of volunteers, flood damage was minimal, limited to only the basement.
The First Presbyterian Church of Sainte Genevieve continues to serve the Lord and our community with the same enthusiasm as the founding women whose vision built a church.